The "Responsible Restaurant" certification makes it possible to highlight restaurateurs' eco-responsible practices and offers them support with a sustainable consumption approach. It is free, interactive and evolutionary.
Understanding the process
"Responsible Restaurant" certification is open to all establishments that have a restaurant service (including bars and bakeries/cake shops) and an area that is open to the public.
By means of this certification, everyone can identify restaurateurs who are committed to an approach of ecological, economic and social responsibility with regard to:
- The reduction and sorting of waste
- Taking into account and cutting food waste
- Taking part in local dynamics
- Resource management (Water and Energy in particular)
- Raising customer awareness
To obtain the certification, restaurants agree to comply with mandatory conditions and to implement certain specific conditions defined with assistance from the Responsible Restaurant team, in a process of continuous improvement.
- Limiting the production of waste and move towards sorting all waste
- Find out about the "anti-waste" measures, especially in food sector
- Learn about alternatives to single-use bags and encourage the use of reusable bags
- Use alternatives to single-use plastic tableware, make a transition to reusable ones, and find out about alternatives to single-use plastic packaging
- Saving energy by improving the management of air conditioning and/or heating and by optimizing lighting
- Promote sustainable mobility options for staff commuting to and from work, including the use of public transport
- Be involved in local and ethical (local products, short supply chains, charitable activities, etc.)
- Display the communication of the certification in a way that is clearly visible to customers and become an active information hub with regard to Responsible Trading activities
Please note: some clauses are common to those of the National Energy Transition Pact.
For more information, request the specifications from the Department of the Environment, and make an initial appointment with the Responsible Restaurant team.
The Responsible Restaurant team meets with traders in the Principality to present the initiative to them.
In order to issue the certification, it will check compliance with the Mandatory Clauses (the certification holder undertakes to respect and/or implement the mandatory clauses), will assess the situation of the business in terms of eco-responsibility and will define with the trader the Optional Clause(s) that he or she undertakes to implement.
The restaurant then signs a set of requirements which is valid for 2020-2022 period.
In cases where a restauraurateur would like to be involved in the initiative but does not comply with the mandatory conditions, it will have the opportunity to receive support to help it obtain the certification.
After obtaining the certification, the restaurant must implement the actions and comply with the conditions to which it has agreed.
The visual aids supplied must be displayed inside the restaurant and/or in the window of the business.
The Responsible Restaurant team will make an annual visit to the restaurant in order to monitor compliance with the requirements.
Visits to provide support and information may also be made throughout the year.
The requirements will be updated every three years.
Restaurants can thus progress at their own pace, choosing new commitments with help from the Responsible Restaurant team.