Understanding the process
The following vehicles may be registered in the temporary category:
- Used vehicles that are to be registered in the Principality and must first undergo a technical inspection
- Vehicles that are to be registered in the Principality and must first undergo individual or single vehicle type approval at the DREAL PACA
- Used vehicles from abroad that are to be registered in the Principality, while awaiting the issue of a European certificate of conformity
- Used vehicles that are to be registered in the Principality, while awaiting the issue of a certificate from the Fédération Française des véhicules d’époque (FFVE, French Classic Car Federation)
- Vehicles purchased in the Principality of Monaco by buyers domiciled outside the Principality for use abroad
- Vehicles awaiting registration in the temporary transit and diplomatic categories
Following temporary registration, a registration certificate and self-adhesive strips (blue with white characters) will be issued. These must be affixed to the vehicle in the spaces provided for the registration plates.
The aforesaid certificate and self-adhesive strips indicate the number assigned to the vehicle, the period of validity and the category to which it belongs:
- The WW category for new or second-hand vehicles that are to be registered in the Principality of Monaco or in France; it enables the vehicle to be driven only in the Principality of Monaco and in France during the specified period of validity
- The WW2 category for new vehicles purchased duty free in the Principality of Monaco or for second-hand vehicles exported to countries other than France; it enables the vehicle to be driven in all States.
All goods vehicles or public transport vehicles covered by a WW2 number must be driven unladen.
Temporary registration certificates are valid for two months, regardless of the vehicle’s destination.
No more than one card can be issued for the same vehicle in the name of the same person.
Temporary registration can, however, be renewed for a single vehicle which is to be registered in the Principality in the name of the same person, if they are awaiting single vehicle type approval from the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur Regional Directorate for the Environment, Development and Housing Centre, as set out in Article 98 of the Highway Code.
Temporary registration certificates are issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office or through the intermediary of an automobile professional; only the procedure for applications to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office is described below.
There is a fee associated with this service - Please see
The request must be sent to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office using the appropriate form, duly completed and signed on the original.
The form may be:
- Downloaded online:
- Collected from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office
Applications for temporary registration must be accompanied by the following documents:
- The form (see step 1 Formulating the request)
- A copy of the complete file for the registration, or sale/transfer or export of the vehicle
- The payment, to be made by Visa or Mastercard bank cards only, cheque or postal order (clearable in Monaco or France), made out to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office and cash, in accordance with the current fee schedule
Any administrative procedure undertaken at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office by a third party must be accompanied by a mandate signed by the principal and by supporting documents showing proof of these persons' identities.
The mandate allows the representative to submit and track the progress of the principal’s application(s), but not to sign documents instead of the principal.
To submit your application, you must first make an appointment with an agent of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office.
You can request an appointment in one of the following three ways:
- Online using the online service made available for this purpose
- By email to email@example.com
- By telephone on (+377) 98 98 80 14
The staff of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office will be waiting for you at the time of the appointment; you should bring with you the documents listed in steps 1 and 2 and your preferred means of payment.
You can find all the information about making an appointment with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office by following this link
The temporary certificate and self-adhesive strips will be handed over on the day on which the application is submitted, once the application has been accepted.