Understanding the process
The tachograph driver card is issued, on request, to a holder of a Monegasque driving licence authorising the holder to drive vehicles subject to Regulation (EEC) No 3820/85, whose normal residence under the terms of the European Road Transport Agreement (AETR) is in the Principality of Monaco.
The card allows the holder to drive, abroad, road freight transport vehicles of more than 3.5 tonnes or passenger vehicles with more than 9 seats (including the driver's seat).
The card is unique to the holder and is authenticated by an on-board device in the vehicle. It remains the property of the holder, regardless of the company that employs him or her.
The card records the driver's activity in all the vehicles he or she drives. It lists:
- The activities undertaken (driving, rest, work and availability)
- The status of the driving (single- or double-manned driving)
- The identity of the vehicle used
- The distance covered
- Operating anomalies and breakdowns
This professional card is valid for five years. When it expires, you can apply for a renewal. Any driver may hold only one valid professional card.
You must return your professional tachograph driver card to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office if you abandon or suspend your professional activity.
There is a fee associated with this service - Please see
The request must be sent to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office using the appropriate form, duly completed and signed on the original.
The form may be:
- Downloaded online:
- Collected from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office
A request for renewal of a tachograph driver card must be accompanied by the following documents:
- The application form for a professional Tachograph Driver Card, which can be downloaded in step 1, including a recent, coloured ID photo, dated within the last 6 months, on a light background, frontal view, bareheaded, of size 35x45, not scanned (your face must fill 70 to 80 % of the photo). It must be affixed in the space provided
- A document proving your identity and address:
- A copy of both sides of a valid ID document (ID card or national passport)
- If the address on the proof of identity is different or no address is indicated, please attach a proof of address dated within the last 3 months (electricity bill or rent receipt)
- A document proving your fitness to drive:
- A copy of both sides of a valid Monegasque driving licence including categories C and/or D, authorising the holder to drive vehicles subject to Regulation (EEC) No 3820/85, for the road freight transport vehicles of more than 3.5 tonnes or passenger vehicles with more than 9 seats
- The payment, to be made by cash, cheque or postal order (clearable in Monaco or France), made out to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office and Visa or Mastercard bank cards only, in accordance with the current fee schedule
Any administrative procedure undertaken at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office by a third party must be accompanied by a mandate signed by the principal and by supporting documents showing proof of these persons' identities.
However, it does not allow the representative to sign the documents in place of the principal.
To submit your application, you must first make an appointment with an agent of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office.
You can request an appointment in one of the following three ways:
- Online using the online service made available for this purpose
- By email to email@example.com
- By telephone on (+377) 98 98 80 14
The staff of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office will be waiting for you at the time of the appointment; you should bring with you the documents listed in steps 1 and 2 and your preferred means of payment.
This professional card, which is valid for five years, will be sent directly by post, with acknowledgement of receipt, to the address stated on the form.
You may apply to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office to renew the tachograph driver card, by submitting the same documents as for the initial request and under the same conditions.
The new card may be issued at the earliest 2 weeks before the expiry date of the original card. The original card must be kept for 1 month after its expiry date.